I just recently became obsessed with the egg. (And I don’t mean the human egg… That egg, I became obsessed with years ago when I wanted to conceive my son.) I mean the “incredible edible egg.”
If you are a lacto-vegetarian or a vegan, stop reading now. I know some of our readers are, and I want to be respectful. There’s nothing for you to see here. May I instead refer you to a previous blog that I think everyone could read a couple of times just as a refresher? Everyone else, keep reading…
The good things about eggs:
This food is a good source of Phosphorus and a very good source of Protein. They are also rich in:
- Selenium, which is crucial for a strong immune system and is a very powerful antioxidant
- B Vitamins that reduce homocysteine levels and prevent birth defects
- Vitamin A, which you need for healthy vision and skin
- Vitamin E, which prevents damage from free radicals
- Lutein, which helps prevent macular degeneration
The bad things about eggs:
This food is high in saturated fat and cholesterol. (Yada, yada…)
But this isn’t about that stuff.
This is about a super rad way to cook eggs that I had never heard of prior to my egg infatuation.
Did you know you can hard bake eggs in the oven?
For real, they look like hard boiled eggs. They also taste like hard boiled eggs, but just a little less “rubbery.” So, it’s like hard boiled eggs, without all the specifics of hard boiling them. (If you’re anything like me, you start to boil water, then forget about it, due to the chaos of children, until it’s too low and you have to add more water to it and start almost all over.)
Anyway, here’s how it’s done:
- Put the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Put a cookie sheet below that (in case any eggs crack open.)
- Set the oven to 325.
- Place the eggs directly on the center rack.
- Cook them for ½ hour.
- Take them out and put them into a bowl of icy cold water.
my midwife told me i should eat 2 eggs a day…good thing i like eggs. i never knew you bake them…i’m going to have to try that! 🙂
Eggs seem like a natural thing to eat, that would be way good for us, because evolution aspect of nutrition and the ease of stealing them from nests…