TEETHING TABLETS: What if my baby eats a whole bottle?!

I understand that there are still some moms (and even pediatricians) who worry about the Belladonna in teething tablets. I’ve had some mothers even send a frantic private message when their baby “accidentally” ate an entire bottle of Hyland’s teething tablets. In reality, I’m sure it was deliberate on the part of the child because they taste so dang good. The only “accident” was leaving the bottle where the baby could reach it.

A Very Costly “Accident”

A bottle of Hyland’s is right around seven bucks. That bottle should last months… That’s seven bucks out the window.

I guess seven dollars isn’t really that much actually… I’m just being a sassy pants. I know the real concern is for safety. Some random know-it-all told you that Belladonna is one of the most toxic substances on earth and Hyland’s teething tablets are dangerous, huh?

Well, fear not. If your child ingests an entire bottle of Hyland’s your baby will be completely fine. 

Each Teething Tablet from Hyland’s weighs about 65 mg and contains 0.0000000000003% Belladonna alkaloids. So, in terms of weight, each individual Hyland’s Teething Tablet contains 0.0000000000195 milligrams of Belladonna alkaloids. There are 125 tablets in each bottle of Hyland’s. Which means that an entire bottle contains 0.0000000024375 milligrams of Belladonna alkaloids.

Conventional medicine uses Belladonna alkaloids too. They use around 0.2 mg of Belladonna alkaloids but one dose of. 0.2 mg is not considered toxic. At that does, you may start to see the first signs of side effects such as dry mouth, blurred vision and urinary retention. You start to approach a dangerous level of Belladonna Alkaloids at around .75 mg.

So, let’s pretend that your baby DID ingest an entire bottle of Hyland’s and put it in a visual graph for better comprehension:

how much belladonna in hyland's teething tablets


Feel better now?


Get some today:

Teething Tablets Product Box




  1. drugs.com
  2. hylands.com
  3. onlinecharttool.com



  1. christine kangas

    i’ve never used any of the teething tablets, though i’ve been told about them. Do they numb the gums? How do they work? I refuse to use orajel because I know that it can numb the throat too

  2. Tiffany

    I’ve been looking for this graph for many years now! Thank you!
    My oldest sister always gives me a hard time for giving Belladonna to my children and was totally on the “ban them forever” bandwagon when they got taken off the shelves.

    • Dawn Babcock Papple

      Oh my gosh! I know the feeling, and I’ve search for a graph but was unable to find one, so that’s why I made one! I’m so glad you like it. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

  3. Christina D

    I just Googled “My Child Ate Half a Bottle of Hyland’s Teething Tablets” because well… he just did. I had put them up on a high shelf in my living room to keep handy for my teething 9 month old and my 2 1/2 year old somehow got at them and ate whatever was left in the bottle. I figured it was fine since all of the ingredients were natural, but I wanted to check anyway. Thanks for the info!

  4. Hannah

    I babysit a 1 year old and my little dude just turned two…he got into her diaper bag, which I forgot to put away…and ate god only knows how many. i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy I found this blog. I started to panic ( I am not afraid to admit it)……LOL! just relieved that it’s all gravy…thank you!!

  5. Pingback: Broken Arms and Hyland’s Homeopathy — Everything Birth's Blog on Midwifery, Attachment Parenting, Cloth Diapers and More

  6. Pingback: Hyland’s Teething Tablets Concerns Addressed, Again. — Everything Birth's Blog on Midwifery, Attachment Parenting, Cloth Diapers and More

  7. nikki666

    Much like Hannah’s experience, I immediately started freaking out when I came in the room and saw my son with the entire bottle dumped out on the tray of his walker. I had been in the kitchen for god only knows how long. I picked them all up and started counting them and tried to do the math, (I gave him 4 yesterday and 5 the day before, or was it 6!?) Then I decided to check if anyone else’s kids had eaten too many teething tablets so I would know what to expect while we’re on our way to the hospital. So glad I came across this blog! It’s been about an hour now and he’s fine. Still unsure as to how many he actually devoured….funny thing is though…when I try to give them to him when he’s teething, he spits them out….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top