It’s not a big pet peeve by any means, but the peeve is still there.
I cringe just a little inside my head when I hear statements like this:
- “I used apple cider vinegar on a bee sting and it really helped! I love homeopathy!”
- “Over the counter homeopathy isn’t 100% safe, for example, what if your baby drank a bottle of wintergreen oil?”
- “I love going to the farmer’s market to get our homeopathic cough medicine. (Raw honey.)”
Because none of those things are examples of homeopathy.
- Apple cider vinegar on a bee sting can work awesome, but it’s not homeopathy. A homeopathic remedy for a bee sting would be something like Ledum 30X or Apis 30C.
- Wintergreen oil is a very potent essential oil. I won’t even own it because, while it certainly has its uses, I don’t want something that toxic in my house. A bottle of wintergreen essential oil could kill a child. But essential oils aren’t homeopathy. And while OTC homeopathic remedies print “100% safe. No Side Effects!” on their boxes, no one ever claimed essential oils had no side effects.
- I also love raw honey. It is great for actually soothing and healing sore throats and coughs, but it isn’t a homeopathic remedy. A homeopathic remedy for a sore throat could be something like Phosphorus 30X or even a blended Hyland’s Cold Remedy.
Homeopathy is a kind of natural remedy. But not all natural remedies are homeopathic. I’m not pointing this out to be snooty, just so that we’re all on the same page. I really think that all kind of natural remedies will end up being the way to health in the near future, so we might as well get used to the terms now.
So, what makes something “Homeopathic?”
Homeopathic remedies work through super intense dilution, succession (vigorous shaking that allows the substance to leave an imprint on the water it’s diluted in) and the Law of Similars. This combination causes our own body’s natural healing abilities to be stimulated. The remedy itself doesn’t actually heal anything. No chemical reaction is going off between an OTC homeopathic medicine and our bloodstream. With homeopathy, our body is just being tricked into healing itself.